Monday, November 7, 2011

Charice Pempengco cherishing her roots and father

Cherishing her roots


SOMETIMES, success changes you so much, you become a stranger to yourself. But 19-year-old singing sensation Charice is determined that this will not happen to her.
The petite Filipino singer, who is reeling from the sudden death of her father Ricky Pempengco last Monday, was in Kuala Lumpur recently as part of the David Foster and Friends concert.
It was three years ago that Charice, who plays Sunshine Corazon in the hit TV series Glee, found fame in the American music scene.
“A lot of people tried to change me,” says Charice, who was born in San Pedro, Laguna, in the Philippines, and whose real name is Charmine Clarice Relucio Pempengco.
“They wanted me to be a totally different Charice, one you will not recognise.”
But Charice was determined to stick to her Asian roots. “It’s really important for me to be who I am. I’m not going to wear stuff that I’m not comfortable with and I won’t do something that I don’t want to do.”
Her road to stardom began in 2006 when she appeared in a TV singing talent show, Little Big Star, in the Philippines and emerged as a finalist.
The following year, she participated in a South Korean TV singing talent contest. Although she did not win, the videos of her performance began circulating widely on YouTube which made her popular.
She received invitations to appear in US TV shows like The Ellen DeGeneres Show and Good Morning America. But it was her appearance in The Oprah Winfrey Show that raised her profile.
Dubbed by Oprah as the “most talented girl in the world”, Charice went on to release her first international album, simply titled Charice, in 2010.
The album entered the Billboard 200 at No.8, making her the first Asian singer in the history of the music charts to land in the top 10.
Recently, she released her second album titled Infinity, which is slowly creating waves.
“There are a lot of talented people around the world and I consider myself very lucky to be discovered and blessed with international fame,” she says.
“I was just a nobody from the Philippines, but in less than three years, everything happened for me. It’s just like a fairy tale. I feel like I’m Cinderella.”
But it did not take her long to learn that fame also has its disadvantages. She has lost her privacy to a certain degree and has found that some members of the media do not hesitate from asking her very personal questions.
“Sometimes, I’m surprised that they even bother asking me those questions,” she says. “I would surely not tell anyone whether or not I’ve problems with my family or others.”
Besides singing, Charice has also tried her hand at acting. Glee is her first project, and there is a strong possibility that she might return for the third season.
She has also just completed shooting her first feature film titled Here Comes Boom with Salma Hayek and Kevin James.
Directed by Frank Coraci, the comedy centres on a high-school biology teacher who moonlights as a martial arts fighter in an effort to raise money to save the school’s music programme. The film will hit the cinemas in the middle of next year.
When asked whose voice she would really love to have, Charice replies without any hesitation: “Adele. If you listen to her, you will find she does not yell much. Yet, there is so much soul in her songs, you could just feel it. She’s also a great songwriter.”
Charice also admires Lady Gaga and Beyonce’ attitude, fashion awareness and beautiful voice. One of her wishes is to work with them.
Charice also cites her mother, Raquel, a former vocalist with a band, as her biggest musical influence. It was her mother who taught Charice to sing when she was four.
She hopes to be a songwriter and album producer with her own recording label. Her focus, she says, will be to bring Filipino and other Asian singers into the international arena, which is her way of giving back to society.
It appears that she wants to create more ‘Cinderellas’ out there.
However, Charice wants to be more than just a singer/actress. “I don’t want to be in showbiz forever,” she says. “I want to finish my studies. I want to read law. I don’t want people to recognise me only as a singer.”
These days, Charice’s busy schedules in the US does not permit her to return to her birth country as often as she would like to and she is missing her family and friends back home.
Meanwhile, Charice has cancelled her upcoming performances in Indonesia and Singapore, as part of the David Foster and Friends concert, to return to the Philippines following the murder of her father.
Charice, who has been estranged from her father for many years, said in a statement: “I want to thank my fans from around the world for their support and love at this very difficult time. We are all very sad about this tragedy.”
According to news reports in Manila, Charice’s father was stabbed on Monday after a brief encounter with a man at a grocery store outside Manila.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails




bangsar south bangsar south bangsar south bangsar south bangsar south couple sex couple sex couple sex couple sex couple sex balcony balcony balcony balcony balcony balcony video video video video video video sex sex sex sex sex sex sex jho low 1mdb jho low 1mdb jho low 1mdb jho low 1mdb jho low 1mdb jho low 1mdb jho low