Thursday, February 11, 2010

Breast cancer examinations: delay is not an option

Wednesday February 10, 2010

Breast cancer examinations: delay is not an option

In this day and age where the dissemination of information hits you hard and fast, it is a sad point to note that despite the messages of awareness, women do sometimes put off making that simple yet potentially life-saving date with a mammogram.

The key to survival is in your hands

This fact hit home recently after the news that reality contestant Jennifer Lyon who starred in Survivor: Palau lost her fight with the disease.

What was tragic about the news was that the 37-year-old delayed seeking help. In an interview with People Jennifer admitted she had felt something in her right breast that didn't feel normal. However Jennifer reportedly brushed it off.

"I thought it was probably scar tissue related to my breast implants. It was right along the ridge of the implant, so I let it go, and I let it go for a long time," Jennifer was quoted in People as saying.

The thing is, in hindsight Jennifer made the wrong choice. She should have stepped up. It seems so obvious to us but then again, if we were in her situation how many of us would have done the right thing?

I know I probably would have buried my head in the sand. Made an excuse and comforted myself that ignorance is bliss. It is what I have always done – assumed that it won't happen to me.

Jennifer's story has forced me to revaluate my fragile grip on immortality. There is no fountain of eternal youth, and if I cling to ever finding that, it is merely wishful thinking. And, let's be honest, plain ol' stupidity.

My life is literally in my hands with every self-breast exam I do. All the data on breast cancer survival is in early detection. Breast cancer is NOT a silent killer.

There are signs to look out for. We just can't choose to ignore them because we are too afraid of facing the truth and confronting our immortality.

If during a routine self-exam you find something odd – get it checked. In this case, there is no shame in being a hypochondriac. It is better to be sure than sorry.

(Source: clovetwo.com)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails




bangsar south bangsar south bangsar south bangsar south bangsar south couple sex couple sex couple sex couple sex couple sex balcony balcony balcony balcony balcony balcony video video video video video video sex sex sex sex sex sex sex jho low 1mdb jho low 1mdb jho low 1mdb jho low 1mdb jho low 1mdb jho low 1mdb jho low